Black & white development and printing workshop
‹ Browse all workshops & events dates
Learn how to develop and then print your own film black and white photography images. The satisfaction and aesthetic beauty of a silver gelatin print cannot be beaten. Come and learn how to create some wonderful imagery, and finish the day with your own prints to frame and/or sell.
What to expect on the day
- A class of up to two people only, of any skill level (from absolute beginners to those refreshing their memory);
- In the darkroom, lights are on all of the time! No complete darkness required (our red darkroom safelights make it easy to see at all times).
- a relaxed atmosphere where making mistakes is expected;
- all chemicals, equipment, film sleeves will be provided;
- a sense of pride at having used science to create art.
What you will need
Just one thing, a finished roll of black and white 35mm film (24 or 36 exposures). You can buy black and white 35mm film locally from the Open Eye Gallery or Wilkinsons Cameras in Liverpool, or buy it online here. If you’re really desperate, email me and I can sell a small amount from my own collection.
Schedule for the day
- Meet at The Arts Centre: greetings and house rules
- Go over the basics of developing film
- Calculating your chemicals, loading your film, develop your film
- Break for lunch (whilst your film dries). Bring your own lunch or visit one of West Kirby’s many cafés.
- Assessing, storing your film, choosing an exposure for printing
- The basics of printing
- Printing and finishing your film
- Final thoughts (whilst your prints dry)
*Attendees must be over 16 years of age.