Black & white darkroom printing workshop
‹ Browse all workshops & events dates
Learn how to print from your own black and white film photography images. The satisfaction and aesthetic beauty of a silver gelatin print cannot be beaten. Come and learn how to create some wonderful imagery, and finish the day with your own prints to frame.
What to expect on the day
- A class of up to two people only, of any skill level (from absolute beginners to those refreshing their memory);
- In the darkroom, lights are on all of the time! No complete darkness required (our red darkroom safelights make it easy to see at all times).
- a relaxed atmosphere where making mistakes is expected;
- all chemicals and paper will be provided;
- a sense of pride at having used science to create art.
What you will need
Just one thing, a developed roll of black and white 35mm, medium format, or 4x5 large format film. If you need to learn how to develop your film, you can book yourself onto one of the film development workshops first.
Schedule for the day
- Meet at West Kirby Arts Centre: greetings and darkroom rules
- Calculating your chemicals
- The basics of enlarging and printing
- Printing a contact sheet
- Printing your chosen image
- Final thoughts (whilst your prints dry)
Membership to the darkroom
You will need to complete this workshop, and the film development workshop to qualify to use the darkroom as a member, by yourself.
*Attendees must be over 16 years of age.