Basic black & white film processing and printing workshop
‹ Browse all workshops & events dates
Learn how to process black & white film and print in the darkroom with photographer and darkroom expert, Les Meehan.
A workshop designed to help new darkroom users learn the basics of black & white film processing and printing
This day-long workshop will teach you how to:
- process a previously exposed film;
- make a contact/proof print;
- make a correctly exposed and contrast adjusted print;
- make simple local tonal adjustments (basic dodging/burning);
Who should attend this workshop?
Anyone who has used a traditional film camera to make images and wants to learn how to develop their own film and print their images. No prior darkroom experience required.
What to expect on the day
- A class of up to two people only;
- a relaxed atmosphere where making mistakes is expected;
- all chemicals and paper will be provided for the workshop;
- lunch is not included – the darkroom is close to the centre of West Kirby, where there are a variety of cafés and supermarkets.
What you will need
Just one thing, a roll of black and white 35mm or medium format film for developing.
Schedule for the day
- Meet at West Kirby Arts Centre: greetings and darkroom rules
- Workshop introduction
- Morning session: film processing (loading the tank; processing the film; reviewing the results)
- Break for lunch
- Afternoon session: printing (proof sheet; your first print; creative adjustments)
- Finishing off and Q&A
About your tutor, Les Meehan
Recently returned to his roots in the Northwest, Les has been a professional photographer for over 35 years. Having run his own London based commercial studio for many years, he is an expert in studio lighting and a specialist in analogue photography and black and white printing in all formats up to 8 x 10.
Les is a passionate and experienced photography tutor and has conducted workshops in the UK, France, and more recently in Spain. He also has had solo exhibitions in the UK, France and Spain and is the author of seven commissioned books on photography (both analogue and digital).
Les has a mission – to help make you a more skilled photographer!
Membership to the darkroom
You will need to complete this workshop to qualify to use the darkroom as a member, by yourself.
*Attendees must be over 16 years of age.