Where to buy film in the UK
Last updated 7th January 2021
My local city of Liverpool is, unfortunately, lacking in a decent supply chain for both 35mm and medium format film. Only the city’s flagship photography gallery, Open Eye, and Wilkinson Cameras stock a small selection of the decent stuff, at a pretty price.
Otherwise, it’s the stock £1-a-roll Agfa Vista 200 from Poundland.
Luckily, work takes me to the capital on a regular basis, in which I am often found handing over my halfpennies to the film peddlers of London town.
So, here’s a list of online and London-based film sellers. Assume each entry covers 35mm and medium format unless stated otherwise; and colour and black and white, because they normally do it all.
Advertise your film store here!
This blog post attracts over 1,500 page views per month. Help fund a community darkroom by advertising your film supply store here.
Email me and let's strike a deal
When it comes to buying online, I’m normally going for who’s selling the cheapest and delivery cost. These are the sites I’ve ordered from at good prices, and received good customer service and delivery.
- Parallax Photographic (Brixton, London): https://parallaxphotographic.coop
- AG Photographic (Birmingham): http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk
- Analogue Wonderland: (UK somewhere!): https://analoguewonderland.co.uk
- Discount Films Direct (dunno where they are): http://www.discountfilmsdirect.co.uk
- Film Bros (London): http://www.filmbros.co.uk
- First Call Photographic (Taunton, Somerset): https://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/
- Imaging Warehouse (Stratford-Upon-Avon): https://www.theimagingwarehouse.com/Products/Film
- Jack the Hat (Cumbria): https://www.jackthehat.co.uk
- Mathers of Lancashire (Bolton, Lancashire): http://www.mathersoflancashire.co.uk/index.aspx
- Morco (Newark, Nottinghamshire): http://www.morco.uk.com
- Nik & Trick (Folkstone, Kent): http://ntphotoworks.com/shop/
- PhotoUK (Eastbourne): http://www.photouk.co.uk
- RK Photographic (Potter’s Bar, Hertfordshire): http://www.thedarkroom.co.uk
- Student Photo Store (Plymouth): http://www.studentphotostore.co.uk
- 7DayShop.com: https://www.7dayshop.com/camera-film-supplies/filter/show/all
- Silverprint (Poole, Dorset): https://www.silverprint.co.uk
- Parallax Photographic (Brixton): Parallax have made themselves the cool choice for film enthusiasts and publish useful articles about shooting and developing film. I love everything about the way Parallax pitch themselves. Importantly, they sell single rolls of 120 film (as opposed to boxes of five at a time), sell Japan Camera Hunter JCH Streetpan 400 (lovely), and other hard to find film. Lightbox Darkroom members also get a discount! https://parallaxphotographic.coop
- Aperture (nr Tottenham Court Road): One of the well known and reputable film camera sellers of the UK, Aperture stock film as well. There’s an ice cream counter which serves a variety of cold film. Choose your flavour! http://www.apertureuk.com
- Mr Cad (nr Victoria): I’ve already listed Mr Cad in my post about film cameras, suffice to say, they’ll happily sell you film whilst your lusting at the cameras and lenses. Expect to find the usual film suspects including quite a lot of large format film. http://www.mrcad.co.uk/
- Process Supplies (Farringdon): A 5 minute trek from Farringdon underground station. These guys are knowledgeable and stock the usual stuff, nothing extravagant. http://www.processuk.net
- KVJ Fairdeal (Aldgate East): A small pokey consumables shop that happens to sell a decent collection of Ilford and other film. Exclusively 35mm and not a camera shop, but useful to know if you’re short on film and about to embark on that street photog jaunt up Brick Lane! https://goo.gl/maps/r8EVQbWYJQo
- Wexphoto Video (nr Aldgate East station): Not a film or darkroom specialist, but they do stock the standard range of film, paper, and darkroom bits and pieces. USed to be right next to Euston station as Calumet, but have relocated since merging with Wex Photographic https://www.wexphotovideo.com/